Monday, September 17, 2012

Dilly Beans

On my most recent trip to the farmer's market, I picked up some green beans so I could try the dilly bean recipe from Sherri Brooks Vinton's "Put 'Em Up."  I halved the recipe below because I prefer small batches the first time I try a recipe.   We haven't tried these yet because I do like my pickles to cure for a few weeks, but I can't wait, and neither can Greg.  Apparently, these are a Wisconsin delicacy.   Who knew?

Ingredients:
4 lbs. green beans, washed, topped and tailed
6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh dill weed
2 Tbs. dill seed (caraway or celery seeds are acceptable substitutes if you have trouble finding dill seed like I did)
1 Tbs. black peppercorns
4 cups distilled white vinegar
2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. sale

Steps:
  1. Cut the beans into lengths 1 inch shorted than the pint jars.   Divide the garlic, dill weed, dill seed and peppercorns among the jars.  Pack the beans vertically into eight clean, hot jars, somewhat tightly.
  2. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and salt into a medium nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil.   Pour the hot brine into the jars to cover the beans by 1/2 inch.   Leave 1/2 inch of head space at the top of the jar.   Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes to seal jars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment