Sunday, November 11, 2012

Skillet Corn Bread


I discovered the following corn bread recipe in my grandma's recipe box.   I've now made it twice, and both times it's been completely devoured within hours of baking.   Maybe it has something to do with the bacon drippings...

Corn Bread

2 eggs, beaten
1 can creamed corn
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream (I use Light)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar
1 ½ cups corn meal (if using self-rising, then omit baking powder)
2 TBS bacon drippings

Combine first 7 ingredients, whisking well.   Add corn meal and stir well.   Heat 2 TBS bacon drippings in a a cast iron skillet in the oven until hot.   Pour batter over bacon drippings and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.   I used an 8" skillet and baked mine for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment